Thursday 10 December 2009

Police permission

I sent an email to the British Transport Police last night. I wanted to know if I need permission to photograph at Edinburgh Waverley. They replied quite quickly, and I was surprised, saying that I needed to contact the station's PR department but they'd forwarded my email. Very helpful.

If I'm going ahead with this miniature project then I really want to have some cool locations. That's why I'm thinking about Waverley station. There's a taxi concourse and several overhead walkways I could shoot from, 'cos to get a successful shot you really need to be looking down on your subject.

Anyway, I got an email this evening from Network Rail in Glasgow:

Alan

Non media related photography requests should be sent to Darren Gallagher, copied above. Please can you tell us what you intend to take photos of and how they will be used please?

Thanks,

Craig

Craig Bowman
Media Relations Manager
Network Rail
Buchanan House, 58 Port Dundas Road, Glasgow, G4 0L
Q

I've now sent a new message to Darren Gallagher and copied Craig Bowman on it. I basically said that I want to shoot for an hour, it's for an HNC Photography course and the images won't be used anywhere else. I also mentioned that any member of the public who's face is recognisable will be blurred out and that I'm also covered for Public Liability by the college. I don't really see them having an issue with me photographing there.

Now. Where did I put those Risk Assessment forms!



added later tonight: Here is my reply;

Hi Darren,
I'm currently doing the Graded Unit which is a six month long project and is part of my HNC Photography course. I've decided that my subject is "tilt/shift miniatures" and I would like to shoot at Waverley station for around an hour.

Tilt/shift photography is where you take an image from above and then make it look like like a miniature model on the computer. I plan on standing on the pavement next to the taxi access ramp and also one of the upper walkways to shoot down over the main concourse. I have attached an example picture of what I'm trying to achieve. These shots work particularly well in train stations and that's why I'm contacting you. Should any member of the public be caught in my shots, their faces will be blurred out and unrecognisable.

The images will be printed at the college, put into a folder then sent away to the Scottish Qualifications Authority. They will not be reprinted or used anywhere else without permission. Please contact West Lothian College on 01506 418184 if you require clarification on this and ask to speak to Neil Sinclair or Alan McGregor (head of photography). I will also send a copy of the final images to you which you could consider using for marketing etc.

I'm fully covered by West Lothian College's public liability insurance and will have a copy of the certificate with me. I will also have my matriculation card and shooting brief should any member of the public question me.

I would like to aim for Saturday 19th december in the afternoon if possible.

Many thanks for your time.

Alan Fisher
Student id no. 20044568 West Lothian College.

[image included in email as shown below]


Image courtesy of http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/3549695929/in/set-72157618464598535/

No comments:

Post a Comment