Sunday 20 December 2009

Post Edinburgh

Well, that was a fun but freezing day.

I reported to the Network Rail station and the second I walked into the office this lady says "Hi Alan, sign here please". I hadn't even opened my mouth yet!

"What gave it away?", I asked, laying the forbidden tripod on the counter and shrugging off the oversized Lowepro rucksack.

Anyway, after signing tons of forms and watching a 10 minute safety video I was issued with a much coveted "contractor badge". This was pinned to my chest for the entire day and I was thankful for it. Almost as soon as I started shooting overlooking the main concourse I was apprehended by two coppers. "Excuse me", said one of them tapping me roughly on the shoulder, "Just what do you think you're doing". I wheeled around, flashing the yellow badge in his face. He then said to his pal "It's awright, Mick... he's got a badge on". Great to see anti-terrorism policing so hard at work lol...

Joking aside I'm glad they were alert to me with the camera. Quite a few members of the public were staring at me as well, but once they clocked the badge I could almost see their thoughts as they realised I was "somebody official". I have to admit it was a weird experience.

Anyway. When I was issued with the badge the lady asked me where I would be shooting from. I replied that I would only be on overhead walkways as I needed all my shots to be looking down. Unfortunately the walkways weren't really that high so I left the station and made my way to a better vantage point. Here is the first image I took:



Not really that great but I applied a few corrections and made it look like this:



It's not bad but it's still not brilliant. I won't submit anything to the graded unit unless it blows my socks off. I must admit this image does exactly what I set out to do yesterday, namely get a shot of a train and make it look like a miniature but I'm not really convinced I can get an entire set of 10 out of this. I'm still liking the miniature planets I mentioned previously (thankfully I got some shots I'm going to work on later to attempt this effect).

Here are a few other images from yesterday where I've applied the tilt/shift effect in Photoshop.







No comments:

Post a Comment